◷ Reading Time: 7 minutes
At the end of each sample, there is a link to download the complete project. Each project has a folder named sampleJSON which contains sample inputs.
- All the videos related to Sample projects: Sample Project Playlist
- Learn from building to testing a project: Build a project, deploy in the server and test the service URL
- Build a Project from Scratch: How to Build a Project from Scratch: FlexRule Designer
Business Decision and Rule Management System
This tutorial will use the scenario of checking the eligibility of a pilot as a means of scheduling flight duties. There are rules and regulations defined by the aviation authority, such as the maximum flight period, the maximum number of night shifts that a pilot can work, etc. For example, the maximum duty period should be 12.5 hours. The process contains a set of important steps.
- Calculate the daily flight duty period
- Count the number of landings
- Calculate flight time
- Check the eligibility of pilot on duty
Create a simple Decision Table that calculates delivery costs based on the total weight of a parcel. In the post office, this is usually based on a couple of conditions and business rules, but for the sake of this tutorial, let’s make it simple, as shown in the business rules below:
- If is Package between 0 and 22 kg then the delivery cost is 30$
- If is Package between 22 and 50 kg then the delivery cost is 33$
- If is Package between 50 and 110 kg then the delivery cost is 120$
- If is Package is heavier than 110 kg then the delivery cost is 200$
Defining rules to validate the names and addresses of an address book. Natural Language was used to write business rules.
This is a sample for the car insurance industry that calculates the premium of a car based on Auto and Base premium components. The business rules are for risk classification and calculation of the premium of a car. This example requires an SQL database connection.
The process of determining the eligibility of providing firearm licenses contain a set of serious rules that require 100% accuracy as it is related to security. The example will show how FlexRule can be used to automate this process.
- Read data from the previous applicant list
- Check whether the applicant is already applied
- For previous applicants, get the previous score
- For new applicants, calculate the score
- Determine eligibility
The process of approving a building plan contains a set of step according to building type, building size, number of stories, etc. The example shows how to use FlexRule Decision tables to write rules to automate this process.
Calculate a premium for a given liability amount based on these rules:
- Up to and including $50 000 –> fixed amount of $500.00 (Base premium)
- $50 001 to $100 000 –> Add $40.00 for each $10 000 increment
- $100 001 to $200 000 –> Add $30.00 for each $10 000 increment
- $200 001 to $300 000 –> Add $20.00 for each $10 000 increment
- $300 001 to $1 000 000 –> Add $10.00 for each $10 000 increment
- $1 000 001 to $3 000 000 –> Add $7.00 for each $10 000 increment
- $3 000 001 to $5 000 000 –> Add $10.00 for each $10 000 increment
Decision-Centric RPA (Robotic Process Automation)
Automate the process of a Google-search. It will search for a value in Google and filter the search results to get the list of links on the first page.
- Open a web browser (eg: Chrome, Firefox)
- Navigate to ‘www.google.com’
- Type ‘Flexrule’ in the search bar
- Press ‘Enter’ key- Copy each link one by one
- Close the web browser
Automate the process of reading emails of a recruitment email account to download applications and candidates’ details.
- Input the email address, and password of the recruitment email account and the job position that needs to be filtered.
- The process will read emails and download applications.
- Store them in separate folders according to the email address and date
Automate the process of reading résumés to check whether the required skills are presented.
- Load the résumé (PDF file)
- Search for each keyword
- Count the matching keywords
- Calculate the matching keyword percentage
Automate the process of reading data from an Excel file to get student records, calculate the total, average, and pass/fail state and write back to the file.
- Open the Excel sheet where you have saved student scores
- Calculate the Total
- Calculate the average
- Depending on the average determine pass/fail state
- Save the Excel sheet with a defined filename
Automate the process of writing a value in MS Paint and save the image file.
- Open MS Paint
- Click on the Text icon
- Click on the canvas where you want to type
- Type the text
- Save the file with a given name
Automate the workflow of the loan approval process
- Collect the applications
- Validate applications
- Check eligibility according to the bureau’s standards
- Determine loan application routing
- Team review if required
- Determine whether the loan is approved
Decision-Centric Data & Analytics
This example takes a dataset of weather details to train the model and finally, predicts the possibility of playing golf. It uses the C45 algorithm for predictions. It will:
- Input data
This example takes a dataset of symptoms to train the model and finally, diagnose whether the patient has cold, flu or allergies. It uses the Naive Bayes algorithm for predictions.
- Input data
The data flow and ETL (Extract, transform, load) process was automated using the IRD (Information Requirement Diagram). The example will get details of a list of bank accounts and determine/calculate the following facts.
- Maximum balance
- Minimum balance
- Average of bank accounts
- Summation of balances
- Find the latest and oldest Bank accounts by Account opened date
RPA and Business Rules
Check the eligibility of a supplier. The supplier assessment will perform both a qualitative and quantitative evaluation and help to get the final decision. It will:
- Check the business registration number validity
- Check online whether the company is registered in the business registry
- Give a score depending on different criteria and calculate the final score
- Decide whether the supplier is eligible