◷ Reading Time: 5 minutes
What is Generic Flow?
Flow allows you to orchestrate the execution of multiple activities, tasks, or logic documents.
The flow consists of a set of:
Nodes are isolated executable unit of work that carries a goal to be met. A node in the FlexRule Flow engine can simply be:
- an activity to be executed
- a rule to be evaluated
- a decision to be taken
- and so on…
However, a node has no notion of sequence or succession. A node may have some Incoming and Outgoing transitions.
In a flow, transitions are responsible for connecting one activity to another. This is the execution transition between different nodes in the flow. Most transitions just model the next step in a flow by pointing the attribute to the next node. However, sometimes a transition may have the following properties:
E.g. Transitions that go away from a Decision node can have conditions.
E.g. Transitions that go away a Decision node can have priorities.
E.g. An exception message can be assigned.
E.g. A variable assignment can be done instead of adding an Assign node or Activity node.
These attributes of transitions allow the handling of complex behaviors in a flow.
To add a new General Flow document,
Document Types --> Business Logic --> Generic Flow
Once you added a term, this will be the window.
General Flow Properties
- Name: Name of the flow
- Variable Definition: Define variables to be used in the flow
- Types Definition: List of types and functions
- Glossaries: Link Business Glossaries and Boxed Expressions
The toolbox has a number of nodes that can be added to the flow.
At the top menu, you can see the following items.
- Open the related logic document for this node: Open the logic document of a selected node
- Create a logic document for selected node: Create a logic document for a selected node
- Delete item: Delete a selected item
- Highlight the impacts of the selected node: Highlight the impacts of a selected node
- Properties: Properties of the page or a node
- Business Glossary: Link Business glossaries and boxed expressions
- Overview of entire model: See the entire model
- Zooming: Zoom in or zoom out
- Export to image: Export the document to an image
- Alignments: Align nodes
- Resize: Resize selected nodes to a single size
- Layout arrangements: Automatically arrange and layout the nodes
- Change connections: Change connection styles to straight/ Bezier or Right Angle
Node/ Connection Properties
If you click on a node/ connection, its property window will appear. The properties vary depending on the node type.
Sample Generic Flow
Download the sample Generic Flow using the attachment.